Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Operation iceberg

Operation iceberg
I was on an expedition to look at the  illusive Polar bear. I have heard recordings and sightings of this inquisitive creature lurking on this cluster of icebergs. Every foot I take the colder it gets stepping over small crevasses in the ice searching for the lone polar bear. Looking down every step of the way. Little balls of ice trickling down the steep ice face from my pick axe. Far away in the distance I spot some sort of tail of a fish swimming towards me, I felt a rush of energy to find the polar bear. Soon after I spot movement amongst the ice, it was a polar bear. My blood was rushing as I scrambled to find my camera to take a photo of the illusive polar bear. I started to make my way down and I'm wondering if this was really a good idea, out of the corner of my eye I spot a huge chunk of ice tumbling down the glacier to the icy cold water. This sensation happens when global warming warms the ice decreasing the glacier by 1 foot to 12 meters a year. I reached the bottom of the ice shelf and got in my boat and rowed home.


No comments:

Post a Comment